Chronology

On 6 November 2015

During celebration of the 85th anniversary of the Riga Central Market, the Central Market Anniversary Thaler was moulded from the coins donated by the customer, merchants, and visitors.

In 2012

the Central Market received its first Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor and since then due to the positive feedback from tourists this certificate has been received every year.

In 1997

The territory of the Central Market was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List as a part of the old town.

Since 1995

Rīgas Centrāltirgus (the Riga Central Market) is a joint stock company with 100% of its shares owned by the Riga City Council.

On 18 October 1983

The pavilion complex of the Central Market was acknowledged as a national level cultural heritage.

1961 year

The statistics for 1961 showed that the market was selling up to 200 000 tons of meat, 768 00 litres of milk, around 7 million eggs, more than 9 thousand tons of potatoes, more than 8 thousand tons of vegetables, and almost 5000 thousand tons of fruit each year.

In 1961

Agreements for regular supply of agricultural products were entered into with 60 kolhozs (collective farms).

In 1961

Up 700 tons of products could be stored at the warehouses of the market.

In 1949

The Central Market was renamed as the Central Kolhoz Market and the press was praising it as the best market in the whole Soviet Union.

From 1941 until 1944

German war equipment workshop was arranged in the current fish and root pavilion.

During the Stalin’s rule

All of the merchants were moved out from the milk pavilion in order to build a 9 m tall statue of Stalin, however, the project was discontinued due to Stalin’s death in 1953.

In summer 1939

The cheese thieves managed to steel from the Central Market 14 large cheese wheels and the merchant’s white overall. All three thieves were arrested when they were trying to sell the cheese and were sent to a correctional facility by the court.

In 1939

a new and modern parking lot was built near the Central Market with a capacity of 100 horses, cars, or motorcycles.Charge for 12 hours – 50 santims.

In 1938

Refrigerator rooms were capable of storing 310 000 kg of products.

In 1930

The Riga Central Market was acknowledged no only as the largest, but also as the best and most advanced market in Europe Even then all of the pavilions were equipped with electric power and central heating system.

On 10 November 1930

Merchants moved from Daugavmala Market to the new Central Market.

On 1 November 1930

The Riga City Board introduced the Riga Central Market to all of the highest officials, including, the president with the first lady.

In fall 1930

The construction works were completed.

From 26 April until 5 May 1930

The market premises hosted the 3rd international vehicle exhibition and from 10 until 12 May there was an exhibition organised by the Latvian Association of Hunters.

From 26 September until 1 October 1929

The pavilion which is known as the meat pavilion today was used as an exhibition hall for the creative works of school and preschool students to honour ten years of school operation in Latvian.The opening ceremony of exhibition was attended by the president Gustavs Zemgals, chairman of Saiema Dr Pauls Kalniņš, prime minister Edmunds Ziemelis… Read more

In 1928

Construction was started again.

In 1926

The construction work was suspended due to insufficient financial resources.

On 25 September 1925

Cornerstone of the Central Market was laid next to the red Spīķeri warehouses.A zinc pipe was built in along with the cornerstone having inside a protocol with the decision from the city council for construction of the Central Market and all of the Riga’s newspapers issued on the respective day.

On 1 July 1925

The Riga City Board announced a tender for dismantling works of the army ship hangars left by Germans in Vaiņode and their transportation to Riga for the needs of the planned pavilions at the Central Market.

In June 1924

Construction of the new market was started by taking down 2 rows of the red Spīķeri warehouses.

In summer 1923

A sketch tender was announced for construction of a market.

18 December 1922

The Riga City Council made a decision to build a central food market.

1909 – 1910

A need for a central market was discussed at the Riga Town Council.